Saturday, February 17, 2007

Home for CNY at long last

Weather: 6°C, wind North at 9 km/h, humidity 72%. Melancholic end to a beautiful, rare day of clear skies. Not that I was awake long enough to enjoy it hehe.

Soundtrack: Non allegro from Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances. Alternating between the Liverpool Phil's lush orchestral version and that fiery and lyrical piano duo of Ashkenazy and Previn. Sublime.

State of mind: wine-infused.

Outfit: oversized Esso "Save the Tiger" T-Shirt

Random thought of the day: my keyboard's sticky with fruit juice! eww...

The past few months have seen me retreat into a terribly introverted frame of mind and I realise I've completely lost the incentive to blog. Saying I'll extensively update the bloggy soon is just deceiving myself, n'est pas? So to clear the vicious cycle of procrastination, here's the key features of 2nd year in uni so far:

Study: classes have been mostly good, my choice of modules, on the whole engaging lecturers and seminar leaders. Babs and whassername from Marketing F&A highly snooze-inducing; Jonathan Swift of Consumer Behaviour the highlight of 1st term. No proper assessment until January's 2 exams and 1-and-a-half essays, which was kinda worrying, but overall they went pretty well. MLP group quite a fun bunch. 9am triples have been very taxing on ye ordinary student who does not normally emerge before 10am as a rule.

Wimslow Park has been a great place to live in. The Times did a feature on university students living in luxury accommodation and slotted in a photo of three smug young blokes relaxing in a spa complete with bubbles. Ooh yes you guessed it, our very own Momentum Leisure Health Club, conveninelty situation 20 seconds away from my front door. Had a quite a bit of excitement and stress organising my final year accommodation, but in the end I'm staying on, same room, 2 floors above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am now continuing this post from my dear ole room in 795, Jalan 17/24, PJ, Malaysia! Wheeee... arrived back yesterday noon (KL time Thursday) and thoroughly enjoying the rest, company and food, but certainly not the heat. Thankfully it's rained the past couple of days, and my hair's already been trimmed so it's not terribly sweltering. Still retaining my "bak zham kai" (steamed chicken) pale skin hehe.

Been on the People Society's committee as Communications Officer since November. On the whole a fascinating experience, and because just about everybody on the communications team quit or was asked to step down, I've had full control of the whole comms and publicity works even though I'm still vaguely feeling my way around this job. We have weekly Monday meetings which usually last 2 hrs - Mon evenings are busy times writing the committee email (which I created) and the weekly members' email. So far I've helped publicise the annual Badminton Tournament and taken lots of photos of all the leng zhais competing against each other =P, and we're gearing up to the big Charity Day on 12th March.

December hols saw a fantastic trip with Emma (Stubbs) to her father's place in Gutersloher (near Dortmund), Germany. Weather was freezing, house was lovely, Christmas markets were almost as amazing as her family. Unfortunately I got stranded in London on Christmas Eve with no transport back to Manc as the flights were delayed from the terrible fog. Should really have taken up their offer to stay on until the 27th, but in the end I stay with Teng Huang on Xmas Eve night, and Mum's ex-classmate Aunty Ai Tee picked me up on Xmas morning. Managed to catch the earliest coach to Manc on the 26th - what a horrible ending to my brilliant holiday! Photos up once I clear some capacity on my hd.

Anyways this will be my first Chinese New Year in Malaysia after a 5-yr abscence. Be back in Manc 6am on Monday the 26th. Have a lovely week, everybody!

No comments: