Saturday, February 11, 2006

Half-hearted bitchiness

Ooh I've never used this dark purple font before. Now tell me, just how mo liu can a girl get?

Gawd, how I miss my camera. In a trigger-happy mood these few days, but my one obstacle to photographic bliss is the untimely death of that ickle Litium-ion battery in the trusty ole Sony P10. I WANT A NEW CAMERA!!! But oh well, lemme make my ngan-jee first, so says the parents. Anyway, went to the Sony shop in Arndale the other day, hoping to bring some life back to the poor thing and a smile back on my face. Arriving there after wandering about ressembling a lost Japanese tourist, I proceeded to flash a dazzling smile at the guy-behind-the-counter. Now, these so-called sales representatives/executives are never just out to inform the occasional lost Japanese tourist about the wonders of modern Japanese photographic equiment, but out to get said Japanese tourist's hard-earned cash. That's why said sales rep isn't ever just the cute Sony guy or the fugly Sony guy, but always the Sony guy-behind-the-counter, reason being they can quickly duck behind said counter when the customer gets pissed off mah. (Hey, it's 1am okay, lemme have my daily ramble will ya?)

Well, back to the story. This supposedly lost Japanese tourist wasn't in fact Japanese, a tourist, or even lost in the first place. That's the one helluva annoying thing some Brits assume when some yellow-skinned person wanders about Manchester's Arndale clutching a camera case. Look, I'm a student, okay? I live here, okay? I was wandering about window-shopping, okay? I take photographs as a means of expression, okay? Okay. Anyway, the very sneaky salesguy tried to foist off a 54.99 pound sterling purchase on me, but, sorry mate, ya just ain't fast enough. Bugger told me he hadn't got any cameras still using that battery, then told me a brand-new battery was 54.99 quid, then as fast as lighting took up a pair of scissors and was about to happily snip open the pack when - whoaaaaa, hang on dude. Wait, if you open the pack to let me try the battery, I have to pay for it? Yeah, that a problem? Well, actually it is. I haven't agreed to pay for it.

Having my end-of-chinese-new-year cum Chap Goh Mei dinner bash later today. Hmmm gonna be an interesting combination of Malaysians and Singaporeans. I actually quite like orgnising these get-togethers, but when people remember that I'm doing management, it's like I end up doing all the donkey work. Gaaah. I've even developed an allergy to delegation, delegation, delegation. Why can't people try and take the initiative for once? "Yi-Wen, how to get to Whitworth ah? Yi-Wen, how to get into Whitworth ah? Yi-Wen, I dunno what to cook lehh! Yi-Wen, do I really have to bring something??" And then when I take charge and tell people what to do, I've become: "aunty. Okayla, an aunty wannabe". Lol. No win situation huh...

Wow what a bitchy mood I'm in. Can't seem to make up my mind today. Tchaikovsky or Faye Wong? Isabel Allende or Hwee Hwee Tan? The Times or The Independant? thestar.com.my or nst.com.my? Maggi Mee curry or Shin Cup? =P

I have decided to regain my literacy. As in, have a huge list of non-textbook-books-I've-meant-to-read-but-never-had-the-time-to to plough through. Which means far less blogging, chatting and hea-ing, because these take up precious reading time.

Cute building huh? Kinda reminds of the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix in that eponymous Harry Potter book. You know, when Harry recites the address from memory and Sirius' house just squeezes itself into existence from between its neighbours? Feels like it's from a different era, this little one just off Albert Square. Guess that's the magic of this city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amsterdam's famous for narrow houses yeah..prob has a wizarding school there..woohoo can't wait!!