Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Pour Moi??

Such an utter klutz today, without actually being physical. Put an egg on the stove to boil and promptly forgot about it until ages later I went into the kitchen to explore the source of the rather acrid burning smell seeping into my room through the overhead kitchen vent. Gaaah! Bits of broken eggshell everywhere, and a rather sheepish me.

(Comment on the side: what does it mean to look "sheepish"? Baaa...)

Anyway, here is an utterly shameless little blog entry. Tis the season for giving, n'est pas? Though some might argue that gifts given totally out-of-the-blue are far nicer hehe. Well people, it's me birthday on the 22nd and Christmas on the 25th. And this is my "oh! would so love to have any of this, but really, you shouldn't have" list.

Ah! you say. This young woman's been given a wonderful new cello - honestly, that instrument's worth a decade of birthday and Christmas presents. Smiling (sheepishly), I'll reply: I've been very good this year - honest! And without further ado, my WishList of 2005"

From Canongate US and increasingly popular religion-historian Karen Armstrong, an essay tracing the development of mythology and its major impact on the various chapters in human history. A welcome alternate would of course be Kenneth Davis's Don't Know Much about Mythology or Don't Know Much about World Myths hehe..

1930s classic anti-Stalinist protest literature wrapped in a surreal allegory of good and evil, weaving Pontius Pilate's prefecture in Jerusalem with multiple narratives... a brilliant, dark matrioska doll of a book, apparently. Tamara recommended this to me sometime ago, and I've just remembered it when I saw a copy lying in Linus' flat on Saturday. Sounds terribly intruiging... I want the uncensored translation!

And last on my book wishlist (being good here ;D)... A non-fiction account of how Caravaggio's lost painting The Taking of the Christ was eventually tracked down, though apparently this reads like a good ole fiction romp, with typically dry and tedious descriptions of artistic restoration well livened up. (Random House 2005)

There you go. Being rather cultured aren't I?

No comments: